News and Information about the University of Maryland Police Department
The purpose of this advisory is to provide an update in the investigation of the missing UMD student that was reported to the University of Maryland Police Department.
On November 10, 2016, at approximately 6:36 p.m., we received a report of a missing UMD student, 21 year old Kaitlyn George. Kaitlyn was scheduled to meet a friend at the Eppley Recreation Center at approximately 5 p.m. to go on a hiking trip. When Kaitlyn did not show up, her friend came to the police station to report her missing.
Here is what our investigation has revealed thus far:
- On November 10, 2016, security footage showed Kaitlyn leaving Allegany Hall at approximately 4:42 p.m., with a camping style backpack and a pink bag.
- On November 10, 2016, at approximately 4:34 p.m., a white taxi cab entered campus via South Gate.
- On November 10, 2016, at approximately 4:44 p.m., Kaitlyn got into a white taxi cab in front of Annapolis Hall by herself and on her own accord.
- Investigators located and interviewed the taxi cab driver. Kaitlyn was dropped off in front of a Marina in the Federal Hill neighborhood of Baltimore City.
- UMPD investigators met with the Baltimore City Police Department investigators to review security footage from the Marina. Security footage indicated that just after being dropped off by the taxi cab, she appeared to get into another waiting vehicle (SUV) on her own accord and by herself.
- A witness reported seeing Kaitlyn on a Charm City Circulator bus on November 11, 2016, at approximately 8:40 a.m. Investigators interviewed this witness and verified this sighting.
- Investigators continue to follow up on investigative leads and tips.
We have no reason to suspect foul play in this case. Our team of investigators will continue to work on this case until we have located Kaitlyn and have verified that she is okay. Anyone with information on Kaitlyn's whereabouts is asked to call the University of Maryland Police Department at 301-405-3555.
The purpose of this advisory is to make you aware of a missing person report that was reported to the University of Maryland Police Department.
On November 10, 2016, at approximately 6:36 p.m., we received a report of a missing UMD student, 21 year old Kaitlyn George. She was last seen on campus at Allegany Hall on November 10, 2016, at approximately 4 p.m., by roommates. Kaitlyn is approximately 5’3”, approximately 121 pounds, has hazel eyes and blonde hair. She was last seen wearing black leggings, a green long sleeved jacket, and bright colored socks (that are mid-calf level). She possibly had a black and white camping backpack and a green canvas bag with her.
Upon report, our detectives and officers initiated an investigation, to include:
· Checks of various locations across campus,
· Checks of local establishments,
· Continuous review of our camera footage
· Interviews with witnesses and the reporting person
UMPD pushed out information to the media and neighboring police jurisdictions, as well as to our Twitter, Facebook, UMPD News page. Those outlets will be updated as soon as new information is available.
To view the press release, go to http://umpdnews.umd.edu/node/831 .
We have no reason to suspect foul play in this case. Our team of detectives will continue to work on this case until we know for sure that Kaitlyn is okay.
Anyone with information on Kaitlyn's whereabouts is asked to call the University of Maryland Police Department at 301-405-3555.